If you’re looking for sugar baby tips for beginners, let us start off by saying: Welcome! You’re about to enter into an exciting, wide-open community of like-minded people. The sugaring lifestyle is all about setting your own terms, manifesting your goals, and having a good time.
But, getting started the right way is key. When you have a good foundation, you can avoid some frustrating beginner’s mistakes and streamline your search for the perfect sugar daddy. Follow these tips and you’ll be enjoying the sugaring lifestyle before you know it!
First, imagine. Then, get down to business
There’s an idea that being a sugar baby is easy. That you’ll find the right partner and suddenly your life will be full of designer bags and trips to Bali. But the truth is, the most successful sugar babies don’t simply manifest their dream life into reality. Sure, they imagine their ideal sugar relationship. But then, they get down to the business of putting together a plan.
Here are a few of the questions you’ll want to ask yourself before you start chatting with sugar daddies:
- What is your bottom line? You may dream of a lavish lifestyle on the arm of a millionaire. But until you find your dream daddy, what is the minimum that you would accept from a partner to make your time worthwhile? Be as specific as possible. Would you be content with someone whose role in your life is to take you out to fancy dinners twice a month? Are you looking for someone who would be willing to take care of your tuition so you can quit your part-time job? No matter what your bottom line is, you need to clarify it for yourself.
- Next, how can you do better than your bottom line? Now that you know what your baseline is, raise the bar a little. We say this because most of us have a tendency to sell ourselves short. So, make it a habit to start demanding more than what you originally brainstormed. This is how you can start making the sugaring lifestyle work for you. Some ideas on extra benefits could include a membership to a gym, a sitter to take care of your pets while you’re with your sugar daddy, shopping sprees, etc.
- Finally, what will be your contribution to a relationship? One thing that new sugar babies struggle with is knowing what to offer their partner. That’s because you may be used to being in a traditional relationship in which many of the things that you did for your partner, such as giving them the space to vent, sending them selfies, or giving them back rubs after a stressful day, went unsaid. In a relationship, all of these gestures will need to be explicitly agreed upon. So, think about what kinds of things are in your “yes” and “no” lists. That way, when you start talking about specifics with your sugar daddy, you’ll be able to negotiate easily.
Know where to look for your ideal sugar daddy
There are many different ways to meet a sugar daddy. Some people prefer to frequent places where they might organically meet a sugar partner. Others rely on their social network to be matched with sugar daddies. The problem with these methods, though, is that they can take a long time.
Instead, you’ll have the best chance at success by signing up for a sugar daddy dating website. Here are a few considerations to have in mind when choosing the right one:
- Active users in your area. There are plenty of websites that say they have millions of users all over the world. But, that doesn’t really help you if none of those users are in your area. So, look into which dating sites are most popular for your city.
- Membership plans. Most sugar dating websites have membership plans for sugar daddies. And this is ultimately for your benefit as a sugar baby. It will ensure that the people on the site are serious about meeting someone and that they’re willing to spend money on their partner.
- The kind of arrangement the site is known for. One of the arrangement sites with the most name recognition would be something like Ashley Madison. But, don’t simply flock to the site that has stuck in your mind. Think instead about the kind of arrangement that is most related to the site. In the case of Ashley Madison, that would mean casual hookups with married partners. If this isn’t the kind of sugar relationship you’re looking for, find the site that caters to your interests.
- Commitment to community safety and user experience. A huge green flag for a sugar dating site is accountability. You want to be able to flag spam accounts and reach out to someone if a potential partner makes you feel uncomfortable. Here at Sugardaddy.com, for instance, we have a process of screening for potential scammers and investigating complaints so that everyone feels safe on our site.
Spend time on your profile
Once you’ve found your ideal sugar dating platform, it will be time to create a captivating profile. But, there are a lot of things that new sugar babies get wrong about this process! Here are a few do’s and don’ts to get you started:
· Do: Spend time choosing the right picture. You probably knew this already but your profile pictures are important. If they’re overly sexual, they may intimidate potential partners. If they’re too generic, you’ll blend in with all of the other sugar babies. If they’re too perfect, they may look like you pulled images from a stock picture site. But don’t get overwhelmed. Here’s how you can make your pictures shine:
- Relax. We humans are great at reading body language, even in pictures! So, make sure that you take your profile pictures in a place where you feel comfortable and at a time when you’re at ease. If you’re going to ask someone to take pictures of you, make sure they’re someone who makes you feel relaxed. Even better if they can make you laugh!
- Play around with a bunch of different poses, facial expressions, and angles. It’s better to have too many options than too few. So, get creative and don’t worry about feeling silly. You can always delete the bad pictures later, but you can’t make the good pictures materialize out of thin air.
- Choose photos that are crystal clear. High-quality photos are going to get you more attention. It’s as simple as that!
- Do some editing, but not too much. It’s fine to do some light editing on your photos to make them pop. But too much is off-putting. Definitely steer clear of filters and photoshopping, as this can make your profile look fake or set you up for an uncomfortable situation when you meet your sugar daddy in real life.
· Do not: Stick with the default username. A username that’s assigned to you when you make your profile will probably be a bit generic or even scammy. So, think about one that is specific and memorable. You might, for instance, use your name with an adjective, such as FlirtyJazmin, or your location, like JessFromTheHeights.
· Do: Put some thought into your tagline. Like your username, the right tagline can make you stick in the mind of potential partners. It’s better to be creative than boring, here. So. Instead of something like “looking for a sugar daddy,” try something like, “Armani suits are my weakness.”
· Do not: Overdo it with the bio. You and your partner will have plenty of time to get to know each other. So, don’t feel like you have to spill your life’s story in your bio. In fact, putting too much personal information can make a sugar daddy get bored and move right along. At the same time, you do want to give enough information about yourself to pique a partner’s interest. How do you strike the perfect balance? Well, you can use the same tactic that we mentioned for choosing the right profile picture. Write down all of the things that you think might be relevant or interesting to a potential partner. Then, go back through what you’ve written with an editor’s eye. Take out anything that is generic. And for things that are interesting, take out most of the details so that you’ll have something to talk about on your first date. For example, if you want your sugar daddy to know that you like to travel, you won’t want to detail every vacation you’ve ever been on. Instead, say something like, “I’ve been to over ten different countries and I’m looking to add more to my list!” This will give a potential partner useful insight into what kind of arrangement you might be looking for. And, it will give them an excuse to talk to you about your travels.
· Do: Use keywords to make your profile more specific. You can get even more streamlined with your sugar daddy search with the right keywords. Certain terms like “willing to travel,” “no strings attached,” “long-term” or “platonic” can all help make your bio more specific.
Cast your net
Finishing your profile is an exciting step because it means that you’re finally ready to start talking to potential partners! Here are a few sugar baby tips that will make this step more successful:
- Set aside dedicated time for chatting. Carving out dedicated time for online conversations is a game-changer. Without distractions, you’ll be better able to be charming, ask thoughtful questions, and remember details.
- Weed out the scammers early. If a potential partner’s responses seem fishy, they probably are. And, you can write off anyone who immediately starts asking inappropriate questions, pries about personal details, or tries to pressure you into doing anything.
- Make a good first impression, but don’t stay in your inbox forever. Maybe you want to get to know a potential partner for a little while before getting down to the terms of the arrangement. This is fine, but we would caution you against waiting too long to move your relationship along. If you’re going to meet in person or have a video call, don’t spend more than a couple of days chatting before talking about your first meet & greet. Or, if messaging is going to be a big component of your relationship, make sure that you talk about how your time will be reciprocated moving forward. In other words, think of your first few conversations like a job interview. Eventually, you’ll need to talk about specifics.
Sugar baby tips for safely meeting potential partners
If in-person dates are going to be part of your arrangement, you might be anxious about meeting someone for the first time. Here are a few ways that you can stay safe:
- Meet in a public place. This is a good practice for any kind of dating, and sugaring is no different. Meet somewhere public, in a good neighborhood. Even better if it’s a part of town you’re familiar with.
- Be mindful about transportation. It can be a nice gesture for your sugar daddy to arrange for your transportation before and after a date. But that doesn’t mean that you should get into any car that pulls up to your driveway. Instead, have them order you a car from a verifiable ride-share. Or, have them reimburse you for travel upon arrival. Moving forward, if they want to use their own private driver to come pick you up, that’s fine. But for the first date, it’s best to be safe.
- Always have a backup plan. It’s good practice to always carry at least enough money to get yourself home. You never know when this will come in handy: you may need to leave suddenly, you may get unexpectedly separated from your partner, or they might have had an emergency that prevented them from showing up at all.
- Let someone in on the plans. It’s always a good idea to let a friend, roommate, or family member know where you’ll be for the evening. Make sure to check in with them when the evening is winding down so they don’t worry.
Dress to impress, always
It doesn’t matter if you’re meeting for drinks or going to the local aquarium, you should always strive to look drop-dead gorgeous for your sugar daddy dates.
This might mean that as a new sugar baby, you need to invest a bit of money in sprucing up your wardrobe. If you don’t have the funds, take a look at your local consignment stores or designer fashion rentals for now. Then as you build rapport with your sugar daddy, you can ask them to take you on shopping sprees for your own luxury clothing.
Don’t shy away from talking terms
One thing that new sugar babies often struggle with is initiating the conversation about the terms of the arrangement. And this is totally normal. Even if you’re a very open person, it’s not customary in traditional relationships to talk about exactly what you expect to provide and receive with a partner.
But, it’s important to get over the discomfort as soon as you can. Having the conversation is key to establishing clear boundaries. And until you have the talk, you won’t be receiving proper compensation for your time.
In many cases, the sugar daddy will be the one to broach the subject. But if not, try out these conversation starters,
- “I’m having a wonderful time and I’d love to talk about how things could work between us moving forward.”
- “I could talk to you about [your work, wine, travel etc.] forever, but I’m dying to know more about what you’re looking for in this kind of relationship.”
- “I hope it’s not too forward to tell you that I’d really like to see you again. But of course, we should probably clarify the details first.”
As you can see, it’s best to approach the subject with positivity and curiosity. And remember, you’re both here for the same thing! So, your sugar daddy won’t be blindsided or surprised by this conversation. All you have to do is break the ice.
Stick to your goals
As you do start talking to a potential partner about the terms of the arrangement, don’t lose sight of the goals you set up for yourself at the beginning of your sugaring journey.
The clearer you are about what you want at this stage, the less time you’ll waste later on renegotiating with your partner or feeling resentful about the terms of your relationship. So, dig your heels in and tell your sugar daddy what you want. Then, they can choose whether they are the right partner for you or not.
Go after what you want!
Once you’ve met a potential partner in person or had a video call with them, you might be tempted to sit back and wait for their next move. One of the best sugar baby tips for beginners we can share is to throw this idea out the window! In reality, your sugar daddy might have their pick of multiple different options. If you sit back and wait, they could very well go with someone who is more proactive.
So, be bold about initiating contact after the first date. Let them know that you enjoyed the evening and would like to see them again. And, don’t be afraid to get specific! If they say they’ll be free next week, lock down a day. And, at the start of the week, send them another message to casually confirm your date.
Don’t get comfortable
This is one of the sugar baby tips for beginners that actually applies to everyone in the sugaring community. Don’t get comfortable! When you stop trying to look your best around your sugar daddy or you feel entitled to gifts and a certain lifestyle, you’re setting yourself up for a humbling dose of reality.
But don’t worry. It’s easy to avoid this pitfall. All you have to do is show gratitude. Be appreciative of your sugar daddy and continue to treat them well just like you did from the very start. And remember that it takes hard work and perseverance to achieve the goals you set up at the beginning of your journey. Thank yourself for continuing to put in the effort to maintain a sugaring lifestyle, and you’ll continue to reap the rewards!